[lbo-talk] overconsuming health

Chuck Loucks lbo at hvgreens.org
Wed Oct 7 10:28:27 PDT 2009

Doug,

Sorry about the way I posed the question. My intent was to ask what extra benefits the US people get with all the extra money spent on health care (you pointed out that the household share of health care has gone from 3% to over 11% of GDP from 1960 to today.) I would add that the 3% of GDP in 1960 is 3% of a much smaller (per capita wise) economy. I'm taking a swag here but I bet the US ranking in the quality metrics used to grade national health care systems rated the US much higher in 1960 than today (something like 35th globally, today. )

Chuck Loucks

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 12:59 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] overconsuming health