[lbo-talk] overconsuming health

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 10:32:28 PDT 2009

Chuck, they don't get more. I'd bet some of it is administration, some of it cuts from the legislature, some of it energy and building costs, some of it salaries (not hourly wages) and benefits, and some of it waste.

At the same time, a good bit of it comes from the fact that the neoliberal idea that sucking off large portions of massive external grants - federal and corporate - will generate income that will more than pay for the indirect/overhead costs of the grants (and therefore allow some cash to return to the general fund) has turned out to be massively massively massively wrong... the costs of the layers of lab infrastructures, services, personnel, certifiers, regulators and bureaucrats necessary to administer grants just about always supercedes indirect cost recovery... but the more wrong their approach proves to be the more committed they become to pursuing ever-larger grants and ever-more extensive university-industry relations to make up the difference.

Alan