[lbo-talk] words of The Wise

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Oct 7 19:41:38 PDT 2009

Max Sawicky wrote:
> This seems to overstate a bit. Multiculturalism (MC) at least
> superficially is committed to equality in some sense and to
> tolerance more emphatically. You could say it glosses over power
> relationships and economic interests that underly racism, in other
> words it is liberalism rather than radicalism. In that respect it
> subverts anti-racism, the same way reformism subverts radical
> analysis.

The fact that it glosses over conflict and inequality makes it a insidious obstacle to the creation of a truly inclusive and democratic society. If we don't explicitly call out and develop strategies to transform systems of institutionalized discrimination, these systems will continue. In many ways, it is much easier to engage in political action against overt racist groups like the KKK.

Miles