[lbo-talk] words of The Wise

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Oct 8 05:44:56 PDT 2009

> On Oct 8, 2009, at 7:47 AM, shag carpet bomb wrote:
>
>> consider the way Michaels writes about he sees his own participation
>> in this system of exploitation in the last chapter, just after
>> explaining that even though his family is in the top 1%, he doesn't
>> actually feel as if he is as rich.
>>
>> "Why is this dissidentification legitimating? Because it leads
>> Walter Benn Michaels to think of himself as *not* rich; it leads him
>> to think that when he talks about the problem of economic
>> inequality, he is not the problem, the superrich are. And, of
>> course, the superrich *are* part of the problem. But, unfortunately,
>> he is too."
>>
>> it's news to me that overpaid English professors are on the same
>> order as Bill Gates.
>
> Imagine the outrage! The man identifies himself as part of a Social
> Problem. Asshole. QED.

after he spends considerable time complaining that people think that racism is an individual level problem and thinking like that gets extended to class, which causes a big problem -- the diversity problem -- because we think class inequality is about individual behavior, yeah it's kind of moronic that he believes that, as an english professor with a family income of maybe 250k, he's part of the problem.

if he understood what exploitation meant, Doug, he wouldn't say that. I know there are weird strands of Marxism that like to adhere to such, but such Marxist also don't write 5 pages worth of a defense of equality of opportunity as opposed to equality of outcome.

shag