[lbo-talk] refreshing honesty?

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 12:23:22 PDT 2009

A budding Socrates in Oak Brook, IL, questioning the gods of feel-good liberalism, like libraries and subsidized housing.

===

"You may like the library, but when you call 9-1-1, you want a policeman or a fireman before someone to tell you where the books are in the library," says the man who has talked of privatizing, outsourcing or even closing the library.

"I understand that my philosophy is conservative," Xinos says, adding that government just needs to catch bad guys, put out fires, fix the streets and make sure buildings are sturdy.

He campaigned, successfully, against a plan to bring subsidized housing for seniors into town by declaring, "I don't want to live next to poor people. I don't want poor people in my town." ===

this followed his making an 11-year-old girl cry at a city meeting with his pithy, probing questions that revealed the depths of her ignorance and injustices.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=325508

[via a friend who blogs at http://notesandcomments1.blogspot.com/]