[lbo-talk] Hardt/Negri's Commonwealth as reviewed in WSJ

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Thu Oct 8 22:16:24 PDT 2009

It was a very important book for me when it came out. It allowed me to break out of a very limited concept of militancy, and synthesize a number of disparate ideas together. It also returned the conversation back to the revolutionary possibility contained in communism, in a way that I find far more committed to historical materialism than say Badiou. At the same time, it definitely has some limitations, and one of my greater disappointments has been Hardt's real refusal to think about those limits and push them further (in the way that it seems that Virno is willing.) robert wood

(As to limits, their world system evidently doesn't include the continents of Africa and China, and their are some limitations to their concept of affective labor as pointed out by Sylvia Federici... that's what comes to mind. Also, Hardt tends to slip into a fairly banal progressive dialectical schema when explaining the transition to the current means of production)