[lbo-talk] CPD on Afghanistan

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 9 03:45:10 PDT 2009

[The full statement is too long for the list; to see it, visit the CPD website. I'm among the initial signers.]

Please Forward & Post on Websites, Blogs, Etc. Dear Friend,

As you know, the President and Congress are reviewing U.S. policy on the wars in Afghanistan and Pakistan, and we are writing you at this critical moment to invite you to sign the Campaign for Peace and Democracy emergency statement below calling for an end to military intervention in both countries. Your support can make a real difference: it will add to the impact of the statement at a time when public opposition to these disastrous wars.

A list of the initial signers and the text of the statement are below. We aim to collect a large number of signatures very quickly, and then publish the statement and list of signers as widely as possible, both in this country and internationally. If you would like to add your name, see the emerging list of signers, or make a tax-deductible donation to publicize the statement, please go to our website www.cpdweb.org

.

You do not have to donate in order to sign, but please give if you can, as generously as possible. If you have already signed the statement but not yet contributed to our publicity efforts, please go to our website now to make a donation.

If for any reason you have difficulty at the website, just send us an email at cpd at igc.org. Please circulate the statement to your colleagues and friends.

In peace and solidarity, Joanne Landy Tom Harrison Co-Directors, Campaign for Peace and Democracy

INITIAL SIGNERS: Bashir Abu-Manneh, Michael Albert, Kevin B. Anderson, Stanley Aronowitz, David Barsamian, Rosalyn Baxandall, John Berendt, Norman Birnbaum, Stephen Eric Bronner, Richard J. Brown, MD, Roane Carey, Tim Carpenter, Donna Cartwright, Adam Chmielewski, Noam Chomsky, Margaret Willig Crane, Hamid Dabashi, Gail Daneker, Richard L. Deats, Tina Dobsevage, MD, Ariel Dorfman, Martin Duberman, Steve Early, Carolyn Eisenberg, Michael Eisenscher, Zillah Eisenstein, Daniel Ellsberg, Samuel Farber, Thomas Fasy, MD, John Feffer, Adam M Finger, Barry Finger, Harriet Fraad, David Friedman, Bruce Gagnon, Barbara Garson, Jack Gerson, Joseph Gerson, Jana Glivicka, Jill Godmilow, Linda Gordon, Suzanne Gordon, Greg Grandin, Arun Gupta, E. Haberkern, Mina Hamilton, Thomas Harrison, Howie Hawkins, Tom Hayden, Doug Henwood, David Himmelstein, MD, Michael Hirsch, Nancy Holmstrom, Jonathan House, MD, Doug Ireland, Marianne Jackson, PhD, Melissa Jameson, Mark C. Johnson, PhD, Alice Kessler-Harris, Assaf Kfoury, Leslie Kielson, Dan La Botz, Micah Landau, Joanne Landy, Nydia Leaf, Roger E Leisner, Jesse Lemisch, Sue Leonard, Rabbi Michael Lerner, Martha Livingston, Catherine Lutz, Norman MacAfee, Jan Majicek, David McReynolds, Margaret Melkonian, Martin Melkonian, Marilyn H Morehead, Roger Morris, Erika Munk, Mary Nolan, Mary E. O'Brien, MD, David Oakford, Rosemarie Pace, Ed.D., Christopher Phelps, Frances Fox Piven, Danny Postel, Len Rodberg, Elizabeth R. Rosenthal, Matthew Rothschild, John Sanbonmatsu, Jennifer Scarlott, Jay Schaffner, Ellen Schrecker, Peter O. Schwartz, Stephen R. Shalom, Adam Shatz, Alice Slater, Stephen Steinberg, Cheryl Stevenson, David Swanson, William K. Tabb, Jan Tamas, Hoshang V. Tarehgol, Jonathan Tasini, Meredith Tax, Chris Toensing, Immanuel Wallerstein, Lois Weiner, Peter Weiss, Steve Weissman, Naomi Weisstein, Chris Wells, Cheryl Wertz, Cornel West, Reginald Wilson, Sherry Wolf, Emira Woods, Kent Worcester, Leila Zand, Michael Zweig

We Call for the United States to End Its Wars in Afghanistan and Pakistan! A Statement from the Campaign for Peace and Democracy October 2009 (add your name at www.cpdweb.org)

To sign the statement, please go to the CPD website at www.cpdweb.org

Campaign for Peace and Democracy, 2790 Broadway, #12, NY, NY 10025. Email: cpd at igc.org