[lbo-talk] Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 07:41:51 PDT 2009

Wait a minute, you're saying that the Nobel Committee were right to think that Kissinger was responsible for ending the war? Or that they were more right in that instance than in this? That finally and begrudgingly cutting US losses after 12-14 years of supporting a whole host of Democratic lies, unconscionable and immoral military "strategy", and a Republican administration run by a red-baiting, racist, classist and homophobic crook directly tied to domestic terrorism and CIA crimes around the world - but only in the face that that crook's impeachment and the sudden arrival of fiscal crisis and stagflation - equals ending the war?

Wojtek's right, this is an award for O because he's not Bush and, like a number of other times its been awarded, in the hopes that this'll push O in directions the committee would like - which are far short of what those of us here want. I certainly wouldn't have given it to him but, jeez, even sorta praising Kissinger strikes me as a pretty lame move, no matter how much O is confirming many of our worst fears.