[lbo-talk] Go Ahead, Walk Away From That Mortgage

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Oct 9 08:10:21 PDT 2009

Steven Robinson wrote:

> Go Ahead, Walk Away
> There is nothing immoral about ditching your mortgage.
>
> By Mark Gimein
> The Big Money
> Thursday, October 8, 2009 - 6:18am
>
> Last month a study from the credit reporting agency Experian and consulting outfit Oliver Wyman estimated that close to a fifth of troubled mortgages involved borrowers who were "strategically" defaulting-walking away from mortgages they could pay but decided not to because they owed more than their houses were worth.
There's something profoundly sad in this: "the place I live is a commodity, and if the market value decreases, I'm dumping it". I could care less what the current market value of my house is; I'll be living in it for many years, and I have no interest playing real estate mogul and flipping houses for cash. If the value of my home were to drop 50%, the only real impact on me would be lower property taxes and home insurance rates. What's not to like?

Miles