[lbo-talk] negwatts instead of megawatts

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sat Oct 10 12:58:22 PDT 2009

On Oct 10, 2009, at 3:37 PM, James Heartfield wrote:

> Shane Mage writes that the calculation that UK energy bills will
> rise to 2000 pounds sterling is nobody's fault: "why blame
> ecologists, or anyone at all, for electricity costs rising to their
> real value (taking account of the external diseconomies of
> generating electricity by polluting fossil fuel and grossly
> subsidized nuclear plants)?"...I just did a calculation on the
> government website of what a family dependent on unemployment
> benefits would be entitled to: 3623 pounds sterling, meaning that
> more than half their income would go on fuel bills.

I do blame somebody for the likely negative effects (under capitalism) of pricing electricity at something approximating its real cost: those who throw hundreds of billions to the banks but consider it unthinkable to increase unemployment benefit (and wages generally) by a mere £2000 p.a. over the next ten years (that's an increase equivalent to one dollar a day per year for each of the next ten years).

Shane Mage