[lbo-talk] a reminder

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Oct 11 07:41:49 PDT 2009

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 09:43:16 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes:
> [with Afghanistan in the news again, it's always bracing to revisit
>
> this observation from almost 30 years ago - posted by Dennis
> Perrin]
>

> "I yield to none in my sympathy to those prostrate beneath the
> Russian
> jackboot, but if ever a country deserved rape it's Afghanistan.
> Nothing but mountains filled with barbarous ethnics with views as
> medieval as their muskets, and unspeakably cruel too . . .
>
> "Your Afghan's idea of a jolly good party is to cut off the balls of
>
> his foe, stuff them in his mouth and leave him as an object of
> derision in the local square. The British found this out, as they
> retreated pellmell across the passes, and so too has Ivan."

It sounds like good old Ace was channeling Kipling there, who in his poem, "The Young British Soldier," wrote:

"When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains, And the women come out to cut up what remains, Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Go, go, go like a soldier,

Go, go, go like a soldier,

Go, go, go like a soldier,

So-oldier _of_ the Queen!" ____________________________________________________________ Best Weight Loss Program - Click Here! http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTFoYa06g3haHue7bpbglkD5aI8HgbMewOsyeRvI8ehIKesxO4XZJm/