[lbo-talk] corporate rationality

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Oct 11 12:30:07 PDT 2009

At 02:52 PM 10/11/2009, Doug Henwood wrote:

>On Oct 11, 2009, at 2:44 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>>Focus on individuals fucks up political discussion, almost always.
>
>I gotta agree with you on this. Michaels' original point - that big
>capital has entirely assimilated the diversity agenda, a point to
>which the entire Obama phenomenon is related, and how a lot of the
>received wisdom about how capitalism "needs" racism is badly in need
>of updating - has been lost in all this effort to prove him an
>asshole, or to search his book for incriminating passages.
>
>Doug

did you actually have something to say about the substance of my argument?

capitalism doesn't need racism, but it does need _racialization_. Michaels book is an absolutee impediment to that understanding. In fact, it is hostile to it since he is utterly either indifferent to or ignorant of _oppression_. to recuperating michaels' book by imputing to it the sophistication of actually participating in some discussion about whether or not capitalism needs racism cracks me up.

shag