[lbo-talk] corporate rationality

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 11 20:07:51 PDT 2009

Chris Doss: That's why I said that racism is precapitalist. It implies a caste hierarchy, which is antithetical to capitalist ideology. It is compatible with feudalism, or any other system in which birth gives you rights, but not capitalism.

Somebody: Yeah, I was actually agreeing with you but just framed it in a way which implied otherwise.

The thing about capitalism is how adaptable it is. It's hard today to sustain the notion that the system depends on racism when the dominant state ideologies, are as you say, expressly antiracist. In the same way, it's gradually becoming clear that capitalism doesn't necessarily rely upon a bifurcation of the planet into first and third worlds either. If China, one fifth of the world and larger than all African countries combined, fitfully moves out of the global south, with capitalism as dominant as ever, then it becomes clear that another shibboleth needs to be reexamined. Well, what else is new?