[lbo-talk] sopranos as thatcherite ideology

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Oct 12 05:09:42 PDT 2009

Someone who reads my blog sent me a link to another blog he reads, The Valve. On that blog, someone wrote something enlightening about Michaels approach to literary criticism. I'd complained in a comment at the blog about litcritters who try to do social theory. I've never quite grasped what it is they're up to, though I got an inkling once when I read French Theory. Anyway, Aaron Bady, a lit prof, wrote about Michaels' essay, Going Boom, http://www.bookforum.com/inprint/015_05/3274.

In that essay Michaels maintains that memoirs and shows like the Sopranos are texts that depoliticize social life, reducing everything to the family, emblematic of a Thatcherite ideology where there is no such thing as society -- only men, women, and their families.[1]

Bady's response:

"To understand what a memoir is, his argument implies, all you have to know is what its purpose is in present day society, what its function is. And since he can presume that the entire genre has a single function, he can categorically dismiss its entirety en-masse: what matters is not what is actually written in the memoirs themselves, but the principles of selection used by the nefarious agents of capitalism who bring you Oprah's Book Club and the <http://www.blographia-literaria.com/2009/04/reader-of-talent.html>talent-less, passive readers who apparently ingest them."

So, this could be a way to answer one of Miles' questions about the "social sources". If you've been following my criticisms of Michaels' book, you can see why it is that Michaels does what he does. He's extending his approach to lit crit into the realm of political and social analysis. Thus, to borrow the blog authors words, this is what Michaels does in his political analysis:

You don't have to understand what leftists engaged in identity politics are actually writing and doing, all you have to know is what their purpose is in present day society. You only have to know what the function of leftist identity politics is. Thus, what matters is not what they actually say and do, but how they function for neo-liberalism.

This is his theory of how the world works. This is his theory about how leftist anti-oppression struggles work. Apparently, the lit critters call this neo-functionalism. I don't know from Adam about it in that field, but I do know functionalism in social theory and it sounds about right to me.

If you want to understand why the Apollonian style, I guess that's as good as any and it doesn't veer off into ad hominem pseudo-sociology.

For the litcritters who are around, is Bady on the money?

shag

[1] i find it astonishing to learn that family isn't political but be that as it may ...