[lbo-talk] corporate rationality

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 12 07:29:01 PDT 2009

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2009, at 6:59 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> > My mother
> > was a Michigan fruit farmer's daugher. Before the war their main labor
> > force was white migrant southerners (always called "Arkies"). In a
> > conversation with her once I discovered she believed that she could
> > tell
> > "southerners" by their appearance. She had in fact "racialized" white
> > southerners.
>
> What's specifically capitalist about this? Haven't yokels always been
> suspicious of the folks from over the hill?

Sigh. Nothing. It was merely illustrating the _possibility_ of shag's argument re "racializing." Racizlizing _is_ specific to capitalism, though obviously the human capacities that make capitalism possible are not specific to capitalism.

I was responding to one of CD's off the wall rambles, which is probably a mistake.