[lbo-talk] corporate rationality

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 06:56:02 PDT 2009

[ brad bauerly

>C.B: The workers of the world are not racially and nationally
>united in these fundamental ways. It seems likely that disunities of
>the working class in these ways are necessary conditions for
>preventing the working class from overthrowing capitalism. In this
>sense, capitalism "needs" racism (White Supremacy ) and nationalism.

The workers are not united in a number of ways. The lack of working class unity flows from the alienation that occurs through a commodity society (social relations mediated by things), which creates a competitivism between workers which manifests many forms of ideological attempts to understand the social world. This will not be overcome until the source of the alienation and competition is removed (this is why I posted the Marx quote where he attacks the enlightenment critique of religion). Attempts to address the effects of this alienation _without_ reference to the source are, therefore, utopian projects that will fail. We will not have a united working class until the source of the division is illuminated through the process of overcoming the class alienation that gives rise to the disunity

^^^^^^^ CB: I agree with you . I said

There are probably other necessary conditions of capitalism , like extreme individualist philosophies rife in the population. In a certain sense, the greatest divider of the working class in the US is individualism, "rugged" and otherwise. Wage-labor is a necessary and definitional condition of capitalism.

The nature of necessary conditions is that there can be more than one. That alienation and competition divides the working class does not contradict that White supremacy divides the working class, and that both are necessary conditions of the perpetuation of capitalism.