[lbo-talk] the other diversities

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Oct 14 20:23:14 PDT 2009

Doug writes

"He says that race, or racialization if you prefer, was crucial to the development of American capitalism in the 19th and early 20th centuries, a heritage whose effects linger today - but that people tend to reify that into a timeless affair that's inappropriate to a world where big capital places a huge emphasis on affirmative action and diversity programs."

I don't think racism is a timeless affair. But saying that capital places a huge emphasis on affirmative action and diversity programs means very little to me because 95% of minority populations are not in the least bit affected by this. It is symbolic action, about as effective as Exxon's "concern for the environment."

Why is it that in 30 years as a technical writer, I have worked with exactly one black man and no hispanics? And you know, I live in Oakland, this stuff is in my face 24/7.

Maybe it's one of those agree to disagree things.

Joanna