[lbo-talk] the other diversities

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Oct 15 12:25:22 PDT 2009

Prologue to a post I may or may not ever get around to writing.

There's an old joke from the British CP in the '30s. Two CP members are talking, and one says the Labour Party doesn't fight the class war. The other says that is wrong. They want to fight the class war, and fight it and fight it and fight it and fight it and fight it and fight it and fight it. They just don't want to win it.

I want to winit. I'm not really sanguine that we ever will, and I know that we won't during my remaining life time 5 or 6 years at most, but thinking abut winning it, and what can be done in a period of low struggle to contribute to that unlikely but possible future victory -- that's what at almost 80 makes life worth living.

And prising the glories of the _present_ (non-existent) working class is not a contribution to a possible future working class winning the fucking war.

One more remark and this prlologue is done. No one, so far as I know (I've only skimmed post so far) responded to my suggestion that "diversity" and "multiculturism" should be seen as articles in an implicit armistice. Our movement of the '60s had exhausted its forces; it couldn't go any furhter. (The Panthers, with all their faults, pointed to the future, but there was no way that that future could be actualized on the terrain of the 1970s. "Diversity" was a temporary umbrella for various oppressed groups. It gave them some entry. Of course it contributed to neolibealism, but it is stupid to whine about the fact that any working-class gain is always also a gain for capitalism. Add a kopek to a ruble. That's good for some people and doesn't hurt others, but it certainly strengthens capital. The civil-rights and anti-war movements were class struggle. They just didn't fit the cutre little pictures of class struggle too many people carry around in their heads. So diversity programs were gains for the working-class (weak gains, but that was the terms of the armistice) that also naturally strengthened capital.

Carrol