[lbo-talk] Gore Vidal: Tim McVeigh was "a true patriot, a Constitution man"

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Thu Oct 15 18:07:10 PDT 2009

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 20:40:14 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> “He’s a filthy, low writer,” Vidal says of White. “He likes to attack
> his betters, which means he has a big field to go after.”

> [Edmund White responds]

> [Vidal] drinks a lot. [He] wanted me to rewrite it to show a lot
> more sympathy toward McVeigh, but I thought that would lose about 99
> percent of the audience.

Doesn't that say it all?

> I don't approve of killing hundreds of people
> in the name of some abstract ideal.

Wonder what White thinks about Mr Obama?

> [Vidal is] an
> awful, nasty man.... he's always like this
> seething volcano and you're always wondering when he's going to go off.

If you're not like that, you're not paying attention.

> I don't know what he's famous for anywhere, really, because I think
> those historical novels are complete works of taxidermy.

People will be reading Vidal with pleasure when White is a name only grad students know.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com