[lbo-talk] The Yiddish Policeman's Union

joel schalit jschalit at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 00:21:13 PDT 2009

Actually, a lot of folks I know in the Diaspora Jewish and Israeli press were quite distressed by the book, and there was a lot of murmuring about it. What you're picking up on, Max, is the fact that there was a reluctance to take a hammer to Chabon for coming it as basically a post-Zionist, because of his literary standing, and because the way he spelled it out was done in such a highly composed, literary manner. That compounded taking him to task.

Critics of Israel-criticism, both in Israel and abroad, take most kindly to what they consider moralistic criticism of Israel, on the one hand, and day to day coverage of the Arab-Israeli conflict on the othr. There is not much room for literary and artistic criticism that does not adopt a realist or polemical stance. So, its easier to go after Caryl Churchill, than Michael Chabon. Granted, the narratives of their respective projects is highly different, but you get the point.

That doesn't mean to rank either of their respective approaches to their subject matter either. Its simply that novels such as The Yiddish Policeman's Union tend to undermine their objects of criticism differently, and its harder to take a stance on it because of that, and stigmatize such works, and their authors.

Joel