[lbo-talk] The new disparity: women vastly outnumber men

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 08:26:17 PDT 2009

I think I would seek to understand this with a bit more emphasis on gender roles. The shifts in the economy over the last 20 odd years has aggrandized work that is more feminine in nature or at least less hyper-masculine. Young men know that they will not get a good paying job that uses the physical skills that they have been taught from day one (even in the womb I would argue people are assigned and socialized to gender roles) are an important part of being a male. So they either deny their socialized masculinity (not necessarily a bad thing) and get a non-physical job or they say fuck school in a hyper-masculinized move. Again, I would point to the material shifts in the economy and how this opens up and closes certain things for differentiated groups. Although the approach that seeks to understand it as shifts in individual subjectivity and rationality has a lot of interesting things to say sometimes too.

Brad