[lbo-talk] The new disparity: women vastly outnumber men

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 07:42:29 PDT 2009

>"So, if you grow up knowing that you're going to have to work, you try to
get as
>good a job as you can by getting a good education."

Why would this only apply to women? It still does not address the disparity nor does your assertion (obvious) that women are intelligent and capable... This was the problem with shags argument also. All of the things she mentioned about the need to get a good job because women could no longer (if ever) rely on men to provide for them and the need to support themselves and their families has applied to men for just about ever. Why does this lead to more women going to and getting college degrees? I don't see your point.

Also, your point about how 'women had to work' (as if they did'nt before) can also be seen as being really good for capitalism. Not that I think it is a completely bad thing that childcare and housework has been increasingly commodified (I actually think capitalism produces some positive things), but it does represent a deepening of commodification into the home and is based on some really exploitative relationships (immigrant nannies and domestic workers). This seems to confirm, not deny, Michaels' argument.

Brad