[lbo-talk] The new disparity: women vastly outnumber men

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Oct 17 14:43:24 PDT 2009

I forwarded a hypothesis, but I don't think this is a situation that has one explanation. I think it's a combination of factors, which would include:

1. The deskilling and outsourcing of traditional male jobs. (lowering men's self-esteem)

2. The de-unionization of traditional male jobs. (lowering men's self-esteem)

3. The declining standard of living, now requiring most women to work. (lowering men's self-esteem)

4. The civil rights movement, which opened doors to women both in education and on the job market.

5. The feminist movement, which made it socially acceptable for women to be high achievers and able to see themselves getting something without male support.

6. Men's loss of traditional female support and adulation as a result of 1-5 (lowering men's self-esteem)

Joanna