[lbo-talk] "For all we know, there may not be a safe way down"

D. T. Cochrane dtc at yorku.ca
Mon Oct 19 17:25:50 PDT 2009

Doesn't this all give more meaning to the average than is its due? Of course a cyclical series will always return to its average, if it didn't, that wouldn't be the average. It's a statistical result that seems to be given a great deal of concrete importance. This isn't to say it can't be a useful analytical touchpoint, but oughtn't we keep its construction in perspective?