[lbo-talk] "For all we know, there may not be a safe way down"

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 19 23:04:53 PDT 2009

The problem here is that it is 1) impossible to tell the difference between a sufficiently rarefied abstraction and a fiction and 2) there are a plurality of abstractions that can be, err, abstracted from any phenomena.

Where did Marx, or any classical Marxist, say that capitalism would be lethal to the human species, and how does this follow from Marxist theory?

----- Original Message ---- From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>

Moishe Postone argues, rather convincingly, that Marx produced a Critique of Political Economy, NOT a Critical Political Economy. In other words there is no Marxian Economic Science, ther eis only a historical critique of capitalism in the abstract. (That abstraction bites*, but it is an abstraction, andalways embodied in athick non-capitalist comples: Daily life, the family, the state, education, etc.

* And its bite will eventually be lethal to the human species if we don't destroy it first, but that's another story.