[lbo-talk] the end of contrarianism?

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Tue Oct 20 12:55:37 PDT 2009

I started reading The Economist many years ago, when Gore Vidal praised its virtues. But, he made it clear that it was the news pages in the magazine that he admired, not the leaders.

Jim F.

---------- Original Message ---------- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] the end of contrarianism? Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 15:14:54 -0400

On Oct 20, 2009, at 3:06 PM, Chris Doss wrote:

> I'm not going to mention any names, but I sort-of know an Economist
> writer. She's 22. Not that there's anything wrong with being 22, but
> I'm not sure the Economist's readers are aware that the people
> writing for the thing are not grizzled intellectuals.

I've posted this before, but, hey, why not again?

Doug

----

Washington Post - October 6, 1991

Economics of the Colonial Cringe; Pseudonomics and the Sneer on the Face of The Economist

James Fallows

____________________________________________________________ "Shoot" into a New Career Film Degrees, in front & behind the camera at New York Film Academy http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=jVOfMShMMcQe-LMdGHNH3wAAJ1DoEMrytxsVXKlEh0tvqeWlAAQAAAAFAAAAANNNYj4AAAMlAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABSFZgAAAAA=