[lbo-talk] the end of contrarianism?

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Tue Oct 20 15:19:05 PDT 2009

Well, I must (sob!) shamefully admit to also reading the leaders and the opinion pages of the WSJ - though in the same way intelligence agencies read (or used to read, at any rate) what the left was saying. I also get factual information from these publications and the Financial Times that I can't get in today's left-wing media which unfortunately lack news-gathering resources and are mainly expressions of opinion. To that end, the financial press is much more useful a news source than the mainstream media - the latter being mostly superficial vehicles which help engineer mass ideological consent, the former being elite publications aimed at CEO's and other readers whose investment decisions can be and are influenced by these newspapers' more detailed and more sophisticated coverage of political and economic matters.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bhaskar Sunkara" <bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:08 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] the end of contrarianism?