[lbo-talk] state by state single payer

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Wed Oct 21 03:43:37 PDT 2009

Seeing as how many states are bigger than entire EU nations w/universal systems, I'd have to say yes. The individual state opt-in has been discussed for a long time. I'd go for it as the price of a reform. The subsequent power of example ought to be strong for the states who hang back. People should talk more about Hawaii, which has been covering most people for a long time.

It reminds me of the debate over FAP, proposed by Nixon. It would have set a national minimum for cash assistance, lower than some liberal states, bigger than all the poor f**ed up Southern states. The liberals killed it, much to their subsequent regret.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joshua Bregman" <melodiousthunk at gmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:25 AM Subject: [lbo-talk] state by state single payer