[lbo-talk] transparency

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 06:37:06 PDT 2009

Well, folks I knew twenty years ago said that postmodernism - for all its embrace of irony - was the end of irony...

just like identity politics was the end of humor.

Students committed to such "critical" politics thought Blazing Saddles was racist, just as we were for showing it as an example of American Exceptionalism: where else could Jewish and Black comedians co-author a screenplay and produce a movie using German bathroom humor to address issues of race and class in the settlement of the American West?... it went all the way to the Provost and Ombudsman (which some students, not choosing to investigate the roots of the word, thought was a sexist title).