[lbo-talk] "For all we know, there may not be a safe way down"

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 08:16:41 PDT 2009

On 10/20/09, Mike Beggs <mikejbeggs at gmail.com> wrote:

> That doesn't make him an empiricist, i.e. one who "regards experience
> as the only source of knowledge" (OED).

In his book on Hume, Deleuze says this definition is nonsense. And I agree. Under this definition, everyone is an empiricist. Or no one is. It doesn't capture what empiricism really investigates, which is really relation between things and their movement, instead of the nature of things. If you accept that definition, Marx is certainly an empiricist.