[lbo-talk] Obama Appears to Prefer Trigger - WAS Re: RIP, "robust" public option; Barack tails Olympia

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 23 11:11:34 PDT 2009

On Oct 23, 2009, at 1:34 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

> The notion that he's constrained by some idealistic commitment
> to bipartisanship seems laughable to me

It's not idealistic - it's anything but. But it seems real. Why the appointments of three Republicans to the cabinet? Why the reach-out to conservative pundits just as he was taking office? I think Adolph Reed was right - that the current goal of the DLC types, of which BHO is one, is to become the centrist, establishment party, and leave the Reps as a rump formation of hard right bible-thumping nutjobs. The liberals within the DP will, of course, go quietly along.

Doug