[lbo-talk] Foofooraw: The Dialectic of Impotence (An Inauguration Day Story)

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 16:45:46 PDT 2009

*[i published this, but probably need to give it a more through proof-reading--- excuse any typos] * * * *http://theactivist.org/blog/life-on-the-fringe-an-inauguration-day-story * * * *2:45 pm: the day before Obama’s inauguration.* The temperature is well below zero. I’m more than slightly intoxicated, ruing the poor blood circulation in my hands and wondering if Shyne<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BeTqapowAU>is still in prison, all the while navigating through checkpoints around the White House on the way back to my dorm. I strike up a conversation with, then give two exchange students from Germany some absolutely awful directions. Unable to convince a national guardsman that I’m not an immediate threat to F and 18th, I’m forced to take a three block detour through a crowd of people. I’m no misanthrope, but I was fairly certainly that most of these people were trying to sell me crap I didn’t want. I politely refuse Obama flair<http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1aWP18QYKW8/SXDcp_XonxI/AAAAAAAAANQ/BmhctaBsmaA/s320/obama+thong.jpg>of every size and shape and put my headphones in to listen to some 80’s pop music. I figure that no one in their right mind would bother someone looking at the ground, speed walking and blasting Prince<http://lolabrigada.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/prince-purple-rain-425836.jpg>. *I was right*. First, I was accosted by some religious types. Christian Zionists <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Zionism>, to be specific. “One Jerusalem”, “Obama’s a Muslim”, some ranting about the Second Coming. I wondered what Berl Katznelson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berl_Katznelson>would say. I wondered what could have possibly went wrong in a 19-year old’s life that he would know who Berl Katznelson was? I thought about the pretty, now probably hopelessly lost, Germans. Poor girls. I gave my directions with such confidence. I snap back to consciousness and the teenage comrade of Israel is still raving. But having just read Christopher Hitchens<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CAoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmrzine.monthlyreview.org%2Fseymour261105.html&ei=QWbjSsTnKYqUlAeHhvCKBw&usg=AFQjCNGdrhK3wtTIXRLsTNLHpy7GqtQuAQ&sig2=Sr1vamPEykcwTeo8trG_dw>’ *God is Not Great <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD0B-X9LJjs>*, which caused me to *reconsider* my lifelong atheism, I was especially polite to my pasty friend and I grabbed some of his publications. I knew that their literature would be “ironical” enough for one of my friends to want to put in a scrapbook or something. I took a few more copies. More for me, less for them to confuse people prone to confusion with.

Ten steps later, still looking down at the ground, thinking about how great the word “foofooraw” is, I hear two more magic words that send a warm tingle down my spine, “Bob Avakian.” I’d seen copies of the Revolutionary Communist Party’s (unimaginatively named) *Revolution* newspaper strewn about the street during the past few days and I had heard strange stories of encounters with Übermensch. Those whom braved the bitter cold to speak of their dear leader’s plan to “serve masses and make glorious proletarian revolution”. I quickly discard my Starbucks cup and shove my Iphone into my back pocket. Yes, an Iphone that cost, a perpetually broke student, 40 some odd labor hours. It may seem like a decadent extravagance, but if you’re among the few that are suddenly compelled to find out the legal status of Shyne’s case or the definition of “foofooraw”, it’s an absolute necessity. Now fully de-bourgeoisified, I venture forth to introduce myself to my comrades. After a few years on the radical left, I finally found the elusive *vanguard*.

http://theactivist.org/blog/life-on-the-fringe-an-inauguration-day-story