[lbo-talk] Adolph Reed on the limits of antiracism

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 20:21:48 PDT 2009

Chuck, I think there are two groups of "anti-racists" that're being referred to. The first are the anti-racist multiculturalists in universities, places like WBAI/KPFA and some movements. These're folks who start and end their politics with race... think of the feminists who insist that "feminism was the first oppression" and everything else is secondary, tertiary, etc... think of Murray Bookchin's origin story that bullshit shamanist claims made by old folks that they could dominate nature in the face of new-found scarcities which might lead the young to not feed or honor the old was the first form of domination and everything after that is just another form of domination... think of Communists who are pretty darned good on race, sex, gender and sexuality but find all of them to be of a status subordinate to and effectively separate from class. Its all variants of "your stuff is important but secondary so we'll deal with it later thank you very much".

The other folks are the corporate committed-to-diversity crowd, wherever they reside... who are kinda the inverse of that former group. The former group always starts and usually ends (in this case) with race, that latter can start pretty much anywhere and doesn't care where it ends so long it is diverse, multisomethingal, intersectional and profitable.

Obviously, the two groups can overlap in the administration of any number of liberal institutions...

The problem I had reading the passages about historical specificity and contemporary vaguery was a sense of how to proceed when the contradictory successes of the past mean that the specificities of the past - including the capacity to believe and more or less act as if the particular classes, races, ethnicitities, sexes, and/or sexualities of the past were coherent - appears to no longer hold. It seems like the idea is this: if we can't be specific about something other than class then we need to revert to class. The problem being that class - esp. class in and of itself - isn't a relation, condition, phenomena, experience or identity around which too many folks are rallying these days for, seemingly, a whole host of material and semiotic reasons. If we need a specific class politics then we pretty quickly find ourselves back in the world of British Cultural Studies, trying to understand what makes all these folks with other-ascribed and self-ascribed racial, reproductive, ethnic, sexual, religious, etc realities, folks who "objectively" have "real" "material" similarities find it so difficult to see their similar class conditions... and we're pretty much back where we started.

It seems pretty obvious to me that what we're dancing around is the problem of essentialism in any and all of its forms (any anthropologists in the house?) and so long as we end up insisting on either the basic primacy of the essence of our concern relative to others' or on the secondary superstructuralism of the false essences of others, we're not able to do any good work. Sure other people do it, and it quite properly drives us nuts, but the key is not to speak their language - its a trap. If the goal is specificity, but it is important - as Chuck noted - to have some kind of dynamic core organizational capacity then its more important for us to find a different way to take this stuff seriously than it is for us to focus so much on what's wrong with their views (among other things, its so obvious what's wrong with their views, even if they're pretty difficulty to beat back in any number of settings.)