[lbo-talk] Have You Read X?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Oct 25 09:59:23 PDT 2009

This is intended as an all-purpose response to all further inquiries of the form, "Have you read X?" whenever those queries implicitly argue that "If you had read X, you would hold a different position than you do?"

I will honor such queries PROVIDED the asker can answer Yes to all of the following questions:

Have you read Tomas?

Have you read Postone?

Have you read Ollman?

Have you read Barbara Fields?

Have you read _Orig8in of Capitalism: And Extended View_ and _Empire of Capital_?

Have you read Stephanie Coontz, "Public Origins of Private life_?

(Not all will be always relevant, but most will onmost posts I write.)

If the answer is No to these questions, then my answer to the query as to my reading is "Go away, little boy/girl; we have nothing to discuss."

Of course I do NOT expect anyone to have read these works, _unless_ they have made a similar demand on me. Carrol