[lbo-talk] Setting the agenda for the intelligentsia

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Oct 25 18:35:08 PDT 2009

Joanna wrote:

> > When you think about it, it's a beautifully choreographed show. One
> thing the left could do is to educate people about this sleight of hand.
> What prevents it?

I agree with your post up to here. (You ought to reread and comment on the conniption fits posters on this list had about the teabaggers tempest in a teapot.)

But this questionis really quite foolish. What Left? And all the leftists I know around the country have for decades been trying their best to persuade people around them that liberalism was a dead end. We have about 200 people here on the e-mail list of the local anti-war group. About 6 to 12 come to meetings, and only about 30 at most to demos anymore. They are waiting for Obama to be good. WhenI talk to any of them individually I try gently to urge them to see the hopelessness of that; at demos if I speak I talk about the need for more people in on the planning. But most of them simply don't think it will do any good. And that's what the other thousand or so leftists around the nation have been doing for decades. That's what Carl is doing over in Champaign-Urbana.(By leftists I mean someone who (a) recognizes the necessity of a mass movement and (b) belongs to a local active group if one is around, whether or not he/she likes the group.)

Wating for "The Left" to do it for you is the same as waiting for Obama to do it for you. Someone (many someones) have to work to create a Left.

Carrol