[lbo-talk] Queer-baiting the homophobes: The gist of it

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Sun Oct 25 20:09:35 PDT 2009

It occurs to me that I should make it as easy as possible to get critiqued. Here's the situation: One of our senators, Blanche Lincoln, says:

"Thank you for contacting me regarding the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (S. 1584) which would prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity. However, equal rights should not become special rights, and I appreciate you taking time to share your thoughts with me on this important issue. You can be sure I will remember the concerns you raised if this or similar legislation is considered in the U.S. Senate....."

To which there was an immediate accusation that Blanche Lincoln is a closeted lesbian:

"She's the Tom Cruise of Arkansas politics and just like all the other closet dykes.

"Blanche Lincoln is butcher than Rosie O'Donnell. This is SUCH old news."

And here's the central section of what I had to say:

"Now, as to the misogyny and homophobia expressed toward Blanche Lincoln (whose politics are indeed homophobic) in this thread, well, look:

"In this sexist society, a woman in a leadership position traditionally held by males is damned if she does (that is, looks feminine) and damned if she doesn't (that is, looks tomboyish instead). What's more, by blaming the homophobia of a politician on the politician supposedly being closeted, you are excusing the broader homophobia overwhelmingly exercised by straight homophobes. Instead, you are blaming homophobia on--who else?--a homosexual. (That's not to excuse the hypocritical homophobia often expressed by closeted politicians, just to put it in perspective.) Think back as to how frequently in these comments some right-wing bigot gets accused of being homosexual (and why should that be the accusation, instead of the hypocrisy? Why, because of homophobia). To read these threads, the only homophobes are closeted homosexuals. That's a comfortable, safe way for straight people to argue."

Thanks,

John A

http://www.arkansawyer.com/wordpress/