[lbo-talk] The possibilities of failing upwards with healthcare

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 26 09:11:43 PDT 2009

SA wrote:

> Michael Pollak wrote: [clip]
>
> But how do you know there won't be enough horror stories to give
> credence to the Republicans' criticisms? The large majority of people
> won't be personally affected in any way by the bill. So they'll judge
> it
> based on what they hear about it from the media.

That makes sense. I would add that there is little evidence that general public opinion (usually rather passive even if intense or emotional) necessarily has much impact on government action. Thus even if public opinion _did_, as Michael speculates, grow in support of a more extensive program, there is no strong reason to believe that that would make any more likely the passage of such a strongr program.

Carrol