[lbo-talk] The possibilities of failing upwards with healthcare

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Oct 26 10:56:17 PDT 2009

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009, SA wrote:

>>> Whereas today at the national level, the Republicans not only don't
>>> support reform, they will spend the next three years campaigning
>>> against it, using every one of its manifold horrors to argue against
>>> the whole idea of universal coverage.
>>
>> If the dynamic worked, this would actually be a great thing, since it
>> would marginalize them just as much as back when they campaigned
>> against social security or medicare.
>
> But how do you know there won't be enough horror stories to give
> credence to the Republicans' criticisms? The large majority of people
> won't be personally affected in any way by the bill. So they'll judge it
> based on what they hear about it from the media.

Most people weren't affected by the Masscare bill either -- even less than will be affected by Obamacare IIUC. And everyone's heard of its cost problems. And yet there's an 80% majority in favor of keeping it 4 years later. 80% is pretty enormous for anything.

And that's all you ask in this dynamic: a majority in favor of keeping it, not of liking it. That's the dynamic that would create the financial force play that would lead to single payer.

It would be nice if that happened. I'm certainly not predicting or even expecting it. I'm simply suggesting a gossamer ground for hope. If people keep agitating for single payer for the next 10 years while Obamacare crumbles financially, it might pay off.

Michael