[lbo-talk] The possibilities of failing upwards with healthcare

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 26 15:16:37 PDT 2009

The question is not whether individual politicains _or_ some or all of the capitalists "care" abut public opinion. The question concerns the nature of their response in action to public opinion (and to the way in which that public opinion is expressed. Month after month for 10 years I have read reports on this list how on this or that issue the "public" (as reflected in polls) favors this or that while the government acts in contrary ways. And it is not only in not doing what the public may desire, it is also in doing what the public does not desire. A query: What percentate of the American public in 1965-65 favored the passage of the Civil Rights Act? What proportion favored the insertion of Title 9 into that act?

I don't study voting behavior much, but how often do voters decide their vote on the basis of a single issue? And how often do they vote for a party or candidate on other grounds than any one issue?

I simply claim that rarely if ever will Congress pass (or significant interest groups accept) legislation simply because huge numbers of people passively support it. I know of no evidence to the contrary, and what the politicians "care" about is not relevant to this question. What people think is data, nothing more, and much other data is involved.

Carrol