[lbo-talk] Who?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 26 18:27:28 PDT 2009

On Oct 26, 2009, at 8:06 PM, Chuck Grimes wrote:

> His other point is the white middle class is in denial, and that's the
> problem. Okay. I've tried to think that one through several maybe ten
> years ago. I basically decided denial is just too simple an
> explanation.

One of the major points that Adolph Reed makes in his piece is that people like Wise focus on the subjectivity of The White Racist and not the material/institutional arrangements that underpin racialized hierarchies. Wise's position becomes a matter of asserting moral superiority over all the benighted racists.

> Here is an essay by Ludovic Bain, another guy I never heard of:
>
> http://www.grist.org/article/blain-death
>
> Ain't I An Environmentalist? I don't follow much of the environmental
> movements. Blain seems cranked off about elite white men who
> apparently
> ran or run environmental NGOs.

My complaint about Blain, which I've made several times here, isn't his environmentalism. It's shit like his racial wealth gap work, which takes the problem with American economic life not so much the immense inequality our system generates, but that the inequality is color-coded.

Doug