[lbo-talk] who?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 27 11:12:05 PDT 2009

On Oct 27, 2009, at 2:00 PM, SA wrote:

> There's nothing wrong with giving white activists advice on how to
> attract and appeal to non-white activists - on the contrary, that
> sounds very useful. But the tone of the piece, at least as I
> perceive it, isn't really about just offering up some helpful
> advice, it's about blaming and shaming the Seattle organizers for
> the composition of the demos. And one gets the feeling that Catalyst
> probably does a lot of that, though I don't really know.

By the way, Liza was telling me the other day about some focus groups that one of the big enviro groups did with some blacks and Hispanics about environmental justice/environmental racism issues. The conveners were surprised to find that the issues had no resonance with the participants. They had attitudes quite similar to white people - pretty much everyone was worried about the same things. She's not here right now, otherwise I'd pump her for more.

Doug