[lbo-talk] who?

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Tue Oct 27 12:02:17 PDT 2009

Carrol Cox wrote:

> Rleationshps must be thought, Marxc pointed out,
> rather than observed as are the things related. You can't observe the
> working class, you can only think it as an abstraction.

As I pointed out, this is not what Marx claims.

"The premises from which we begin are not arbitrary ones, not dogmas, but real premises from which abstraction can only be made in the imagination. They are the real individuals, their activity and the material conditions under which they live, both those which they find already existing and those produced by their activity. These premises can thus be verified in a purely empirical way." <http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1845/german-ideology/ch01a.htm

That this includes "relationships" understood as "internal relations" is implicit is this claim:

“Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form. The critic can therefore start out from any form of theoretical and practical consciousness and from the forms peculiar to existing reality develop the true reality as its obligation and its final goal." http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1843/letters/43_09.htm

One of these relationships is the developmental relationship constitutive of "wage labour", a relationship constitutive of it as an "abstraction" in a sense itself derived from the ontological idea of "internal relations" underpinning Marx's account of "the method of political economy" in the Grundrisse.

Here he is in that text contrasting wage-labour as an "abstraction" in this "internal relations" sense with the labour of Russian peasants.

"Indifference towards any specific kind of labour presupposes a very developed totality of real kinds of labour, of which no single one is any longer predominant. As a rule, the most general abstractions arise only in the midst of the richest possible concrete development, where one thing appears as common to many, to all. Then it ceases to be thinkable in a particular form alone. On the other side, this abstraction of labour as such is not merely the mental product of a concrete totality of labours. Indifference towards specific labours corresponds to a form of society in which individuals can with ease transfer from one labour to another, and where the specific kind is a matter of chance for them, hence of indifference. Not only the category, labour, but labour in reality has here become the means of creating wealth in general, and has ceased to be organically linked with particular individuals in any specific form. Such a state of affairs is at its most developed in the most modern form of existence of bourgeois society – in the United States. Here, then, for the first time, the point of departure of modern economics, namely the abstraction of the category ‘labour’, ‘labour as such’, labour pure and simple, becomes true in practice. The simplest abstraction, then, which modern economics places at the head of its discussions, and which expresses an immeasurably ancient relation valid in all forms of society, nevertheless achieves practical truth as an abstraction only as a category of the most modern society. One could say that this indifference towards particular kinds of labour, which is a historic product in the United States, appears e.g. among the Russians as a spontaneous inclination. But there is a devil of a difference between barbarians who are fit by nature to be used for anything, and civilized people who apply themselves to everything. And then in practice the Russian indifference to the specific character of labour corresponds to being embedded by tradition within a very specific kind of labour, from which only external influences can jar them loose." http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1857/grundrisse/ch01.htm#3

Ted