[lbo-talk] separation of state and culture

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Oct 27 13:44:14 PDT 2009

i brought no reading material to work, having to dive into the car at the last minute, giving up on riding the bike in the wetness. so, i hit the library and found Mark Kurlansky's latest. Kurlansky, the author of _Salt_ which I discussed here, has compiled a book based on one he discovered ransacking some archives. Apparently, the WPA's Federal Writers project had a project going, a kind of anthropology of how and what American eats.

_America Eats_ was the proposed title of the book, a massive volume that included recipes, send ups of literary teas in NY, Sioux funeral customs, wars over how to make a proper clam chowder, endemic to New England vs wars over the proper way to make a mint julep, a debate that ripped through the South.

One thing that Kurlansky points out, which I'd never thought of before, is that among western republics the u.s. is almost unique in that there isn't one artist, author, composer, or philosopher on our currency. And I'd never really thought of it before, but there is a kind of presumed separation of state and culture -- as if the state shouldn't interfere in questions of culture in the way it supposedly shouldn't interfere in questions of religion. i'm not saying that the sep of culture and state is a fact, just that i do think that u.s.ers happen to think that there should be a sep. of state and culture.

as i type this out, it occurs to me that this is almost too pat. there must be plenty of objections. still, it grabbed my attention. i wish i didn'thave so many books to read as it is, and way too much to do to get settled in my new digs.

shag