[lbo-talk] Scalia's nuts

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 27 18:06:19 PDT 2009

<http://www.theawl.com/2009/10/scalia-the-constitution-is-there-to-keep-us-from-doing-butt-stuff

Scalia: The Constitution Is There To Keep Us From Doing Butt Stuff

Let's play a quick game of compare and contrast! Ready? Look at the following two statements. You may already know the first one.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Here's the second one. It's a little more recent. It comes from Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, who made an appearance with fellow Justice Stephen Breyer in Arizona yesterday.

The whole purpose of a constitution is to constrain the desires of the current society.

Those desires, you will not be surprised to learn, include defetusing and men sticking manparts into parts of other men. Anyway!

—Balk