[lbo-talk] Internet's downside

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Wed Oct 28 06:32:06 PDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 02:49:43PM -0700, Dennis Claxton wrote:

> How true is this I wonder? It doesn't apply to most of the kids I
> know. They're all involved in some kind of sport and they play
> outside for hours after school every day. That was true from
> pre-school to 5th grade and it's still true in 6th grade.
>
> I don't see this retreat from the physical world.

This is one of those things that everyone "knows" about [damn!] kids today, because they hear everyone else say it.

The same thing was said about TV, and probably about the telephone. Probably about books and carving symbols into rock.

It is very similar to what I've read by some on this list, regarding facebook/twitter/etc. - how that particular technology [damn!] kids today use is somehow about these bad things called "virtual communities" which are formed at the expense of real communities, whatever that means.

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim/google/MSN/yahoo: beyondzero123

Theoretically, people see money on the counter, and no one around, they think they're being watched.

-Dante Hicks Honesty through paranoia.

-Veronica