[lbo-talk] who?

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 09:17:12 PDT 2009

Ted Winslow :

Carrol Cox wrote:

> Relationshps must be thought, Marx pointed out,
> rather than observed as are the things related. You can't observe the
> working class, you can only think it as an abstraction.

As I pointed out, this is not what Marx claims.

"The premises from which we begin are not arbitrary ones, not dogmas, but real premises from which abstraction can only be made in the imagination. They are the real individuals, their activity and the material conditions under which they live, both those which they find already existing and those produced by their activity. These premises can thus be verified in a purely empirical way." <http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1845/german-ideology/ch01a.htm

^^^^^ CB: Although , Carrol might bring to this exchange the quote below :

Every beginning is difficult, holds in all sciences. To understand the first chapter, especially the section that contains the analysis of commodities, will, therefore, present the greatest difficulty. That which concerns more especially the analysis of the substance of value and the magnitude of value, I have, as much as it was possible, popularised. [1] The value-form, whose fully developed shape is the money-form, is very elementary and simple. Nevertheless, the human mind has for more than 2,000 years sought in vain to get to the bottom of it all, whilst on the other hand, to the successful analysis of much more composite and complex forms, there has been at least an approximation. Why? Because the body, as an organic whole, is more easy of study than are the cells of that body. In the analysis of economic forms, moreover, neither microscopes nor chemical reagents are of use. The force of abstraction must replace both. But in bourgeois society, the commodity-form of the product of labour — or value-form of the commodity — is the economic cell-form. To the superficial observer, the analysis of these forms seems to turn upon minutiae. It does in fact deal with minutiae, but they are of the same order as those dealt with in microscopic anatomy.

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/p1.htm