[lbo-talk] NSK

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 28 15:56:48 PDT 2009

At 03:37 PM 10/28/2009, Chris Doss wrote:

>Germany and France are the historic centers of
>Western academia and Western thought is largely
>based on French and German writing.

And Zizek is part of that center. What's your point?

>A book written in Thai is far less likely to be
>translated, no matter how brilliant it is.

How did we get to Thailand? We were talking about Slovenia. One of the things Zizek wants to get across is the "imaginary cartography" determining how the Balkans are discussed.

>English-speaking academics to a large extent
>know French and German (both being required
>languages when I was in grad school) and
>therefore read, are influenced by, and translate those books

Zizek, like Foucault and many others, is read and discussed by an audience far broader than grad students.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v21/n06/zize01_.html

[...]

[...]