[lbo-talk] omali yeshitela

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Oct 28 18:27:08 PDT 2009

this is the black power tradition that has influenced me most. Penny Hess, who heads up the white solidarity arm of The International People's Democratic Uhuru Movement, based in St Pete where I used to live. If you go search out her talks on the topic, she describes her work as going into white communities to organize people to become activist members of the Uhuru Movement. She has a critique of racialized whiteness which derives from Uhuru. Yeshitela describes it below. As I've mentioned, also, they had a stinging critique of Obama as well. Yeshitela gave it in a four part series also on youtube. it's worth listening to. He's a powerful speaker, an excellent antidote to the black nationalism Doug has described at WBAI.

Yeshitela on racism, two parts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz4y1XGyiyM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGJ3ddMcej4

Obama -- White Power in Black Face, part 1 of 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALXhG1o620g

On the economic crisis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTzWvNYklzI

Penny Hess: <http://blip.tv/file/867547>http://blip.tv/file/867547

I'm pretty sure that very little of what Yeshitela or Hess have to say are objectionable. Maybe, though, instead of worrying about Tim Wise we should just join Hess in solidarity, not charity, and help advance the ideas of the Uhuru Movement in so far as it is among the most radicalized of black power/black nationalist movements today.

Dead Prez, by the way, features the work of Yeshitela.