[lbo-talk] gore vidal is an old, cranky prick

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Oct 29 11:31:28 PDT 2009

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009, Dennis Claxton wrote:

>> But Kerouac is also an example of a guy getting a lot worse. When he
>> was young, literally all his best friends were gay. When he was old,
>> the anti-gay screeds in his journals were just poisonous.
>
> William Burroughs, one of those gay friends, says Kerouac didn't change
> or get worse, but that he was always conservative.

Are you equating conservative political and cultural beliefs with vituperative bilousness? IME they're orthogonal. Conservatives are just as often nice and generous individuals, and just as often pricks, as liberals or leftists.

When I say these guys got a lot worse at the end, I'm talking about their vituperative biliousness.

Michael