[lbo-talk] Hoh's resignation letter

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Thu Oct 29 12:44:14 PDT 2009

Here's a link (posted on pen-l) to a news story on a ex-military, foreign service officer who resigned in protest over the Afghanistan war:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/26/AR2009102603394.html

Go down to the fourth paragraph and click on the letter link. I just read it. It is a scathing denouncement. I sure hope it has some effect on Obama's foot dragging over what to do about Afghanistan.

``If the history of Afghanistan is one great stage play, the United States is no more than a supporting actor, among several previously, in a tragedy that not only pits tribes, valleys, clans, villages and families against one another, but from at least the end of King Zahir Shah's reign, has violently and savagely pitted the urban, secular, educated and modern of Afghanistan against the rural, religious, illiterate and traditional. It is this latter group that composes and supports the Pashtun insurgency. The Pashtun insurgency, which is composed of multiple, seemingly infinite, local groups, is fed by what is perceived by the Pashtun people as a continued and sustained assault, going back centuries, on Pashtun land, culture, traditions and religion by internal and external enemies. The U.S. and NATO presence and operations in Pashtun valleys and villages, as well as Afghan army and police units that are led and composed of non-Pashtun soldiers and police, provide an occupation force against which the insurgency is justified. In both RC East and South, I have observed that the bulk of the insurgency fights not for the white banner of the Taliban, but rather against the presence of foreign soldiers and taxes imposed by an unrepresentative government in Kabul.

The United States military presence in Afghanistan greatly contributes to the legitimacy and strategic message of the Pastun insurgency. In a like manner our backing of the Afghan government in its current form continues to distance the government from the people. The Afghan government's failings, particularly when weighed against the sacrifice of American lives and dollars, appear legion....

Our support for this kind of government, coupled with the misunderstandings of the insurgency's true nature, reminds me horribly of our involvement with South Vietnam; an unpopular and corrupt government we backed at the expense of our Nation's won internal peace, against an insurgency whose nationalism we arrogantly and ignorantly mistook as a rival to our own Cold War ideology''

Hoh is 36yrs old and left the Marine Corp after a couple of tours. This means to me he had to study Vietnam. So I wonder where they teach the last paragraph's appraisal of the Vietnam war in the US government?